Monday, November 21, 2011

tribute to all singles

"What's your name again?"asked the helper at my brother's house. I can't avoid her this time coz my bro was not at home.

"Zi", I said while selecting jars of biskut raya on the shelf.

"Oh, I've always mistaken you for your sister", she continued.
yeah, right...

"So, you are the one whom getting married last year, eh?"

Tart nenas' jar was still sealed. I brought it to dinner table and started to open it. I picked out one and examined it. Still eatable.

"Nope, that was my sister," I replied while munching on the tart nenas. Erm, almost lemau. The filling was still good, though. I picked another one.

"Oh, I see, is it your kakak?" I could see her retinas enlarged.

"Actually my adik", we have had this conversation before.

"Oh, how old is she?" I saw it coming.

"well, 28.." I knew her point. It would be obvious if she asked my age straight away.
And I saw her forefinger doing some calculation on her lap.

"So, why don't you get married?" she asked as if the question is like"Do you brushed your teeth this morning?"

I continued munching on my third tart nenas.

"When?" she pushed me again.

I got up, smiled and washed my hands.

"Thanks for the cookies." I said and leave to the leaving room.

***********************

Hey you singles, ever have conversation like above? I'm sure most of you have experienced it many times you even can smell it from distance.

Most of the times, conversation like that makes me feel guilty as sin for not being married yet. Men get kudos for married late, but women will be looked down and labeled as "tak laku", "anak dara tua" or "Andartu", "spinster" and so many names that degrading and humiliating.

It sucks.

Well, being single is not as suck as people tend to make it out to be. As well as marriage, being single also has its pros and cons. So, don't be sad if you are still single and available. Don't cry over the "cons" while you can still indulge in its pros. Enjoy the serenity and freedom of being single while you are at it. Believe me, you'll miss your still-single time when you are single-no-more later. Don't they know that women nowadays can also being single by choice?

But that doesn't mean I don't want to get married.

I want to get married. One day. At the right time. To the right man. InsyaAllah.





No comments:

Post a Comment